Signs of Methamphetamine (Meth) Overdose

Signs of Methamphetamine (Meth) Overdose

Methamphetamine is a stimulant that speeds up a body’s systems. It comes as pill or powder. Crystal meth resembles glass fragments. It is available in prescription as Desoxyn®.

When people use meth, they open themselves up to the risk of overdose because an individual can never be sure of the drug’s strength or purity. If someone you know struggles with meth, getting familiar with the signs of an overdose could one day save a life.

Common symptoms of a meth overdose include:

  • Chest pain.
  • Arrhythmias (heart may beat too quickly, too slowly, or with an irregular rhythm).
  • Hypertension (high blood pressure) or hypotension (low blood pressure).
  • Difficult or labored breathing.
  • Agitation.
  • Hallucinations.
  • Psychosis.
  • Seizures.
  • Hyperthermia (high body temperature).

If someone experiences a meth overdose, their odds of recovery depend on how much of the drug they took and how quickly they receive treatment. Coming back from a meth overdose is possible; the person who overdosed must receive professional medical attention immediately.